Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Some excellent philibustering (by Matt)

Betsy tells me that I’d better write something or else the interweb community will evict me. Apparently, if I don’t update the blog with my doings every three to four days (I got a seven day extension on account of I’m lazy) my status as an interactive citizen is voted on by the board members. I had no idea it was so serious. Apparently, in order to get my internet privileges reinstated, I would have to apply for sexual reassignment and register myself on the web as a woman. It’s probably just easier to write a stupid blog every once in a while.
So, what could I possibly have to say that anyone would want to hear? Well, I saw the new Harry Potter movie. I’ll admit that I can’t watch any of the Harry Potter movies without wishing I had a magic wand. Or at least an invisibility cloak. Shoot, I’d even settle for the crappy flying car. Anyway, it was a good movie. One of the best to date, I’d say. Not of movies in general, mind you, just of the series.
What else… I just finished reading a book called the Historian. It’s about Dracula, but not in a “I vant to suck your blood! Bleh!” kind of way. More in a “Hey, this book is pretty good, but it’s about a hundred pages too long,” kind of way, which really doesn’t tell you much, but it was decent. I skipped almost an entire chapter because I was sick of being told a story through a series of letters written by a bunch of different people in a bunch of different countries at a bunch of different points in history which, oddly, all sounded like they were written by the same person. At least it was better than the Da Vinci Code.
I’ve got a load of books I need to get to. Watership Down, a bunch of Stephen King novels, the rest of the Master and Commander series, some Robert Louis Stevenson, some Garrison Keillor, the next Harry Potter book comes out in five days… In my office at this very moment I have over two-hundred books that I have yet to read. Of those, I know I will not read at least a third. Many have been fixtures on my shelves for years and will remain there, unread, until I take them off to my favorite used bookstore or I give them to my son to read (the Rise and Fall of Adolf Hitler should make for an interesting third grade book report someday). As we are on a limited budget at the moment I have high hopes that my book reading will catch up with my book buying, although, I very much doubt it.
That will be all for now.

No comments: